Mouse Princess

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Perkedel - An Attempt at Indonesian Food (Part 2)

Perkedel

Apparently I miss home more than I thought... As a result, I dug up my recipe book to refresh my memory on how to make "perkedel" or ground meat and potato patties in English. I got the recipe from my Grandmother's cook, who has been loyally cooking for our family for more than twenty years. As usual, there is a spice mixture that makes it so tasty and again, I am not using my "cobek" and "uleg-uleg" (pestle and mortar) because I only have the wooden one and my arms are not that strong anyways.

You can use any ground meat that you like in this recipe, i.e. pork, chicken, beef, or turkey. You can make it into a vegetarian fare as well by omitting the ground meat. I ate this with steamed white rice, but I wished I had cooked "nasi kuning" (fragrant yellow rice) and "sambel goreng tempe" (sweet and spicy tempeh) to accompany the perkedel. But then, I don't know how to make them.. Anyone wants to donate a recipe?

Okay, are you ready to make this simple recipe?

Perkedel Daging

Ingredients:
4 medium-sized Yukon potatoes, cubed
1 lb ground meat
5 cloves of large shallots, thinly sliced
5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 tsp ground corriander
salt and white pepper, to taste
freshly ground nutmed, to taste
2 eggs, beaten
1 egg, for coating

Directions:
01. Preheat oven to 350F
02. Brown the cubed potatoes on an oven-proof pan, transfer it into the oven until the potatoes are soft, around 15 minutes
03. Saute the shallots and garlic, season with salt, pepper, corriander and nutmeg. Transfer into a mixing bowl
04. Saute the ground meat, season with salt and pepper. Transfer into the mixing bowl
05. Let the cooked potatoes cool for 10 minutes then transfer it into the mixing bowl
06. Mash the potatoes and mix it with the shallot mixture and the ground meat until everything is blended together. Check the seasoning before adding the egg. Add the eggs and mix
07. Shape the mixture into little patties
08. Heat a frying pan with some oil. Beat an egg and coat each patty with the egg and fry them until browned
09. Serve with steamed vegetables and white rice

It's quite simple to make, isn't it? The original recipe calls for the cubed potatoes to be deep fried, but I chose not to, because I don't have a deep fryer and I don't want to waste a large amount of oil just to deep fry them.

Until next time..

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Indonesia Eats said...

I also made rendang and perkedel a week ago :). My perkedel is the vegetarian version since my husband is a pesco vegetarian. Thanks for stopping by.

February 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home